Pages

Monday, March 16, 2015

Job's Lament: If Only

“He is not a mere mortal like me that I might answer him,
    that we might confront each other in court.
If only there were someone to mediate between us,
    someone to bring us together, 
someone to remove God’s rod from me,
    so that his terror would frighten me no more. 
Then I would speak up without fear of him,
    but as it now stands with me, I cannot.

-Job 9:32-35

In Job's afflictions, as he meditates and laments, he acknowledges God, that His ways are far higher, that He is sovereign, that He created all, and He judges over all, and Job also says "If he snatches away, who can stop him? Who can say to him, ‘What are you doing?’". 

Job knows not why he was afflicted, and know he is but a mere mortal. He cries out in yearning for a mediator, one who can bring him to God without causing terror, one that would remove God's rod of Judgement.

And how fortunate are we? We now live in these times which Job yearns for, where we can approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. And that is only because Jesus paid the price, His blood washed over us, and now through Him, we are Children of God :)


No comments: