Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

NS Journey (Thus Far 110414)




I was devastated when I had to enlist 2 months earlier in December, to go through the additional Physical Training Phase of BMT. I exercised and played sports frequently in J2; and even in the midst of my A levels examination in November, I was still exercising almost daily. I was confident that I can surely pass the Napfa Re-test in November. But a week before the re-test, I accidentally strained my leg muscles so badly that I could barely walk for days. Nevertheless, I went for the re-test, but had to fall out immediately because I could not bear the pain. I was really downcast-ed when I realized that I was fated to enlist early and was often drowned in sorrow before the enlistment.I knew that God is good and that he has plans for me, but I could not shake the sadness away.

Around this period while I was downcast-ed, Shaun decided to join me for my Church service before I would be stuck in Tekong. During the service, he accepted Christ as his savior personally! I was filled with such great joy because he was a brother that I've known for years and I really wanted him to experience God's love himself!

On the day of enlistment, I met Caleb/Yiren, who was in the same enlistment batch as me. And it just so happened that God placed us both to be in the same company and even the same platoon! Later on, God also placed us in the same LG(aka Cell Group)! By enlisting in this batch, God made me met this brother who is very real in his heart to love God and serve him! :)

In the 3 months of BMT that I went through, God helped me to discover that I was much more blur and air-headed than I could ever imagine. I made a few mistakes everyday, and could even be known as the Company's most blur recruit!! :( There was even once when I was falling in for dinner with my platoon, and only realized that I was in a different attire from everyone else after a long while! :'(

Given this chance to know myself, I strove really hard to be a much more alert person. God was also really gracious, by putting me in Jaguar Company, which was known to have one of the best welfare in Tekong. My Commanders were patient with me, they did not throw their anger on me, but instead they guided and watch over me. My section mates were also really kind. They often gave me help and extra reminders, despite of the problems that I caused them. I was able to train myself to be less blur than before, and became more independent! If God had placed me in the normal 2 months BMT and in another company, things would be much more difficult than I can ever imagine.

In the midst of my BMT, a new batch of enlistees arrived for their BMT in the neighbouring Kestrel Company! And by God's plan, he made Gan Qi/Alvin, my first sheep/mentee, joined Kestrel Company. Gan Qi left to study and live in Hong Kong a few years back. Now that he returned to Singapore to serve NS, I really got the chance to talk to him more as he was at my neighbouring company. And I can invite him to join Hope and seek God together again! :) I really thank God for these divine arrangements he made!

During the 3rd month of my 4 months BMT, I went out-of-training/course because I down PES due to my hearing problem. My hearing problem had been around for years and is serious, but I was still told to go for normal combat-fit BMT, and only down PES in the 3rd month. At the same time, my mum and brother just suddenly told me that they will be going to China to work in a week's time. For my mum, she could be staying there for years, and for my brother he could be staying there for months till the start of his University course, which might not even be in Singapore.

My brother and mother were so dear to me and they meant almost the whole family to me. When I heard of this news, I was so depressed that it felt as if my soul left me. Over the next few days, I was always on the verge of tears, and even during my Church's service, I still felt like my soul had left me. During the next book in, on the ferry, my buddy noticed that I wasn't fine, so he simply asked, "Are you ok?" When he asked, I could not hold my sorrow in anymore and I started crying really badly, even though I was in the middle of the ferry, with all my fellow recruits. My life felt so dry and empty, even though I knew God is with me.

When I woke up on the next day, I no longer felt so sad, and soon after, I received a letter to inform me that I was being posted to the RSAF HQ (Republic of Singapore Air Force, Paya Lebar Airbase). It was a camp where there is better welfare, and I could book out daily, so I could spend more time with my mother and brother before they leave to China. I was so thankful to God, for he answered my prayer in this unexpected way, for me to spend more time with my family, and also for pouring his grace so abundantly into my life, when I felt like I was at the lowest point of my whole life then.

At Paya Lebar Airbase, I bumped into Robby (my childhood best friend)! It was really amazing that God destined for me and Robby to be in the same camp, out of all places I could be posted to. And I was the only few in my whole company that was posted to Air Force, and to the HQ!

Also, if not for all the exercising I did in J2, along with the Physical Training Phase of BMT that I went through, I would not have been able to become fitter, although I am still unfit. I might have been overweight by now, if not for all these exercising and the PTP phase! God made it such that I never managed to pass my IPPT in BMT, even though I was fit enough to, so that when I got posted to Paya Lebar Air Base, I would still continue to exercise, to maintain a more healthy lifestyle and not become overweight haha :)

In a month's time, my mum and brother came back to Singapore and even lead her to start a StarArk Educational Business in Singapore. By then, I became a lot more independent and I also learned to treasure my mum and brother more than before! :) The business was just launched about 2 months ago, and it is rapidly gaining influence. God has been showing his blessings in ways such as providing free furniture, providing an office just opposite to my Church, or letting various talented guys from my Church help my mum in the business.

I am currently a Supply Assistant at Paya Lebar Airbase. In my section, I directly work with a few NSFs and a few Regulars. Among them, there are my 3 upperstudies(Who ORD-ed last year Sep), 2 whom were Satanists and 1 who was a Catholic but dislike Christians. I was often tekan-ed daily, mainly because I am blur. However, by God's grace, I got to talk to one of them (Etienne) more. He shared with me more about how he became a Satanist and his life. And I invited him to visit Hope Church. He received Jesus in his life and is walking closely with God now. My other 2 upperstudies are also open to visit Hope sometime.

Currently, I'm working with different NSFs, and there are work politics which are common in NS. But I'm thankful to God, because he soften the hearts of my section mates, such that they are willing to visit my Church sometime soon. Perhaps even this year's Easter! Also, as for Etienne. God used him amazingly recently. Just last Tuesday, he started reading this book on how a woman Satanist turned her life around to come back to God. Then on Friday night, he bumped into this brother and sister over supper. After sharing more about God, he found out that the sister was at the brink of selling her soul to Satan as she was at her lowest point in her life. She chose not to after hearing about Etienne's life and wants to seek God more again.

Thank you for such grace in my life God! I am so excited for the journeys that we are going to have together in the future! They may be tough, or even heart-wrenching, but I want to always follow after you and put my faith in your love and grace, and know that you are God, I am not. Joel means that God is Sovereign, and he is my LORD. Isaiah means that God is my personal savior, and the one that helps me. So I baptised as Joel Isaiah Koh, because I want to declare that God, you are God, I am not, you are sovereign, but you are also the one that loves me so much that you died to save me and will always be there to help me in your amazing grace! :)

So dear brothers and sisters, thank you for reading this super long testimony!! I pray that in all that you face in life, may you anchor God to be your hope and know that he longs to bless and love you. It is said in Matthew 6:33 In the context that we do not have to worry, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things (health, finance, love, spiritual walk, rest and more) will be given to you as well." and I pray that you will claim one of this many good promises that God gives to us! Amen

No comments: